Week 10: A Man Alive by Thao & The Get Down Stay Down

4:51 PM


I'm very excited for this week's selection for primarily sentimental reasons.

First, let me take you back in time. The year is 2010, and my brand new beau has just burned me the very first mix cd of our courtship (I had already made him at least 10 at this point. It's how I show affection). This was a big moment for me, because it is my belief that when someone handpicks a track list for you, it's essentially their way of laying their soul out on the table. Or so I thought.

The track list was pretty varied but was mostly happy, upbeat tracks, perfect for summer love. Reading far too deeply into his selections, I was surprised when there were 2 songs back to back by the same artist: Thao Nguyen.

I thought "wow. these are positively joyful. This guy must be a big fan of hers."

The songs were:

1. Bag of Hammers
2. Swimming Pools



Flash forward to the present. A couple weeks ago I saw that Saintseneca, one of Chris & my favorite bands, would be opening for Thao in April this year. No one ever comes to Cincinnati, so this is a pretty big deal.

I told Chris "it's like our past and present are coming full circle."

He responded with "Who is Thao?"

He's bad at  knowing the names of any artists, so I decided I would play him one of the songs from the mix CD of our youth.

Nothing. Not a single flicker of recognition. Visual artists can be so frustrating sometimes. 

Oh well.

The point is, Thao, I remember you, and I'm looking forward to our week together.

Also, I find it ridiculous that Chris can remember every time it's "my turn" to kill a stink bug in our apartment, but has zero recollection of a song that he listened to, and liked enough to put on a CD for his new girlfriend.

Whatever.


You Might Also Like

0 comments

Total Pageviews