Week 7: My Wild West by Lissie

9:48 AM


When I found out that Lissie was planning on releasing a new album, I have to admit I was cautiously optimistic about the news. I was really impressed with her sound when I first heard her live cover of Kid Cudi's Pursuit of Happiness back in 2010, then I mostly forgot about her.

A few years later, a couple of friends on my study abroad program showed me her Sideshow Alley performance of When I'm Alone and I was excited about her all over again. In my new-found excitement I started listening to her first two albums and was left confused and disappointed.

Lissie's live sound is a completely different beast than her recorded albums. Live, her voice is raw and uncontrolled, cracking and wailing with energy. Watching her perform is hypnotic; many of her songs start at a raspy whisper and end at a literal scream as she shakes her headphones loose and she drives the song into a swell. She is a wonder to behold. 

For some reason, whoever produced her albums dialed back her sound to the point that little character remains. Her vocals are measured and even, and her incredible band ends up sounding like a nebulous, washed-out karaoke track. Each of her albums sound like a collection of nameless pop-rock anthems of the 90's, emotionless and uninteresting. It's flat-out depressing to see an artist with so much promise come up short on two different albums.

So you fully grasp the difference in sound, I recommend listening to both the live and recorded versions of When I'm Alone



Lissie, live.



I feel bad for subjecting you to this music video because it's just not good. However, you need to know what kind of sacrifice I'm making this week by giving her a third chance.

I'm praying that whoever produced My Wild West does her justice this time, or I will forever be left to sleuthing Youtube for rooftop performances and KEXP sessions. If not, I think this is the last chance I'll give her.


You Might Also Like

0 comments

Total Pageviews