10 Cross-Genre Covers That Sound Different Than The Originals

10:06 AM

After I wrote about the song Passionate Kisses last week, I got on a kick of listening to some of my favorite covers. This kick was simultaneously fueled by Kanye's announcement that he was planning to do a David Bowie cover album, which I'm legitimately interested in listening to. 


With that, I want to continue the trend and post about my favorite cross-genre covers. I absolutely love when artists do this because 1. They shed new light on something I already enjoyed and  2. People get really heated for no reason. Seriously, read some of these songs' Youtube comments (don't do it). Anyway, I've picked the following 10 songs, because I believe they do a great job of paying homage to the original artist, while maintaining their own artistry.


1. Reckoner

Covered by: Gnarls Barkley
Genre: Psychedelic Soul
Original Artist: Radiohead
Genre: Alt/Experimental Rock

I will admit that this was a ballsy pick, only because Radiohead fans are some of the worst people on the earth. Since this isn't Thom Yorke's mug on the screen they're automatically going to take offense, and this is coming from a Radiohead fan. Imitation is the highest form of flattery, unless you're trying to cover one of their songs. I would bet cold hard cash that a solid portion of the people shitting on this video have their own youtube channels where they demo playing the guitar lead for this song over the studio-recording but only film themselves from the necks down.

Personally, I love the wild vocals that CeeLo adds that completely contrast to the original. 

Hear the original here. 



2. Bad Blood

Covered by: Lucy Rose
Genre: Folk Rock
Original Artist: Taylor Swift
Genre: Pop

I will admit that I'm not much of a Taylor Swift fan, despite the fact that I perfectly fit her demographic of 20-something white women. However, everyone and their mums have heard this song. I have definitely watched the music video multiple times because it's pretty bad ass. You don't choose Taylor, she just makes her music unavoidable. Anyway, a friend of mine who IS a T-Swift fan showed me this cover, and I've really enjoyed it. Lucy Rose is a pretty blonde-white chick from England, so they honestly have more in common than they don't. 

Listen to the original here. Or just turn on your radio to literally any station.


3. Oops, I Did It Again

Covered by: Richard Thompson
Genre: Folk Rock
Original Artist: Britney Spears
Genre: Pop

This is amazing because it's a cross-genre, cross-gender and cross-generational cover. Richard kills it, and his drummer is working those bongos. All he needs is a crop top and this would be perfect. 

Do I even need to link the original?



4. Heartbeats

Covered by: Jose Gonzalez
Genre: Indie Folk
Original Artist: The Knife
Genre: Electronic/Synthpop

This is one of the most popular covers among millennials and I would argue that it gets way more attention than the original. I prefer Jose's version, but that's only because I'm a naturally sad person. 

For musicians: This is a great song to practice to improve syncopated finger picking rhythms while you sing an even melody. 

Listen to the original here.




5. Pursuit of Happiness

Covered by: Lissie
Genre: Alt/Folk Rock
Original Artist: Kid Cudi
Genre: Alt. Hip Hop

Never ask me to choose between these two versions. That's all I have to say.

Listen to the original here. 





6. Proud Mary

Covered by: Beyonce
Genre: Contemporary R&B
Covering: Tina Turner
Genre: Soul/R&B/Rock
Original Artist: Creedence Clearwater Revival
Genre: Roots Rock

I love every version of this song. There was no woman more fitting to pay homage to Tina Turner than Beyonce, and no woman but Tina could have created such a culturally influential cover. Also, I'm sure none of this is news to anyone, but it's just too good to be left off of the list.

Listen to Tina's version here, and the original here.


7. Both Sides Now

Covered by: Jason Falkner
Genre: American Pop-Rock/ Indie
Original Artist: Joni Mitchell
Genre: Folk/Rock/Jazz

This is easily the most divisive cover on the list. I did not grow up in a Joni Mitchell household. I wasn't like Emma Thompson in Love Actually, learning how to feel and weep by listening to this song. I legitimately thought that this version was the original until I watched Love Actually for the first time in 2005 and was very confused. I find this particularly hysterical because there are about a hundred covers of this song, by Bing Crosby, Frank Sinatra, even KC and the Sunshine band, and I had only heard this one. I'm sure 90% of the people reading this don't even know who Jason Falkner is. Honestly, the quality of this video (it's the best I could find) really shows how renowned he is. Despite all that, I genuinely love this version, and I'm sorry if I've upset you.

Listen to the original here.


8. Running Up That Hill

Covered by: Placebo
Genre: Alt. Rock
Original Artist: Kate Bush
Genre: Baroque Pop

While y'all were weeping and listening to Joni Mitchell with your parents, my dad was blasting Kate Bush in our house. I'm actually curious to hear what he thinks about this cover, seeing as he is Kate's number 1 fan. If you like Kate Bush, you can't tell you me you don't like the Placebo version because of "weird vocals.' Just saying.

Listen to the original here.




9. Feeling Good

Covered By: My Brightest Diamond
Genre: Baroque Pop
Original Artist: Nina Simone
Genre: Jazz/Blues/Folk

Shara Worden does not get enough attention for anything. She is one of the most talented musicians around. Notice I didn't say "one of the most talented women around." Please don't do her that disservice. Actually this is PSA: please stop doing that to all woman-musicians.  Listen to this song. 

Listen to the original here


10. I Want You Back

Covered By: Lake Street Dive
Genre: Southern Rock/Jazz/Indie Rock
Original:The Jackson 5
Genre: Rhythm & Blues/Disco/Funk

I've seen Lake Street Dive multiple times live, and they are one of the tightest groups around. They're also dropping a new album on February 19, so I recommend you spend some money on it. I promise it will be worth it.

Listen to the original here.






You Might Also Like

0 comments

Total Pageviews