What Should I Listen To for Week 5? In Search of Harperfield by Emma Pollock

11:35 AM


I'm at an impasse.

I was originally planning on listening to Bloc Party's new album Hymns this week because I fall into the camp of people who naively think they will return to their roots. I started testing the waters this morning and have already thrown in the towel. Their first album, Silent Alarm, was released in 2005, and played a large role in elevating my energy levels enough for me to graduate from high school. Hymns is a bit of a let down in that department. 

It's rare that I ever agree with any music critic (which is strange, because I actually feed on hyperbole), but Consequence of Sound hits the nail on the head when they say "Don't come looking for the old Bloc Party." I refuse to read what Pitchfork has to say altogether. While I agree that the new Bloc Party is lackluster, I'm not interested in having my fond memories of driving around with my sister and blasting Helicopter de-legitimized by a site that uses phrases like "a nicotine-stained quality" to describe an album.

Anyway, with Bloc Party behind me some new options have opened up. I really like what I've listened to on each of them, and might end up listening to them all, honestly. But for the sake of numbers, please help me pick one. I suffer from crippling indecisiveness. 


UPDATE: 1/31/16

Two benevolent Twitter souls voted on my lonely poll. I kept alternating between the above four albums and I absolutely could not decide, so I decided asking random people on the internet would be a great way to put it to rest.
I was really excited when I learned that Emma Pollock was a member of The Delgados, a band I discovered right as they were breaking up in 2005. I spent a lot of time listening to The Light Before We Land on loop, while I tried to figure out how I was unlucky enough to jump on a bandwagon that had been going since 1995 and was ready to stop once I got on board. Maybe In Search of Harperfield will fill an 11 year void for me. We'll see. 

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Total Pageviews