Week 4: Curve of the Earth by Mystery Jets

9:28 AM




Starting Monday I'll be listening to Mystery Jet's new album Curve of the Earth.


From the little bit that I've gleaned from the first track, this album is about to be much different than its 2012 predecessor Radlands. This seems to be a return to their roots, which Wikipedia tells me are 20 years old. These guys look like they're perpetually 25 due to questionable haircut choices, so for all I know they started writing and recording together in daycare. Or whatever they call it in England (Babe minding? Tea Nursery?)

I first heard Mystery Jets sometime in 2010 when I stumbled across their song flakes, (which Florence and the Machine actually does an interesting cover of) and even then it was already a few years old. I don't know if it's the American music scene, but this band has managed to be one of England's best-kept weird indie secrets. Maybe it's because no one likes them. Maybe it's a...wait for it.....MYSTERY.

If you've never checked Mystery Jets out before, Someone Purer off their album Radlands is a great place to start. 



This video checks all the boxes for me:

-Dramatic headlights
-Light objectification of women
-Food spewing
-Gazing in different directions
-Old people
-At 1:54 you can see the check engine light. I identify with that.



You Might Also Like

0 comments

Total Pageviews